While no guarantees exist, certain renovations may increase the resale value of your home, particularly if they are undertaken at the right time and at a reasonable price. Both interior and exterior renovations make it to this list.
Exterior Remodeling: a Cost-effective Way to Increase Resale Value
One thought to consider is that curb appeal goes a long way in making a good impression on prospective buyers. Exterior renovations and remodeling can enhance the saleability, and therefore, the resale value of your home. Plus, exterior remodeling is often less expensive than many of the interior options you have available for renovating the look of your home.
Exterior Remodeling Ideas
Each of the following ideas offers good returns on your investment:
• Replace all of the exterior doors of your home with steel doors that will not only improve the look of your home, but will also add some security to it.
• Add a wooden deck (less expensive than composite or vinyl, but popular).
• Upgrade the windows (vinyl is less expensive than other options, but offers a good return).
Interior Remodeling: Flexibility Reigns in Resale Value Considerations
The value of specific interior remodeling options varies depending on the existing floor plan of your home. If you only have one bedroom or bathroom, then adding one to the floor plan is a great idea. If the interior doors are damaged, then replacing all of them is an excellent idea.
Interior Remodeling Ideas
• Create an attic or basement bedroom (more expensive, but good return if the home has only a few bedrooms).
• Add a powder room
• Upgrade the master bathroom
Inexpensive Remodeling Ideas that Increase the Resale Value of the Home
Take a tour around the inside of your home and pick out the things that you aren’t happy with and fix them up. For example, dirty walls can be washed and repainted for a low cost, yet the difference they make is well worth the effort. No one wants to purchase a home that looks dingy or dirty. Change hardware on the kitchen cabinetry or doors for a brighter look.
Check with us here at Westside Remodeling to find out what will be most effective for your home.